Weekend Wrap-Up — June 29, 2020

Weekend Wrap-Up — June 29, 2020

(TargetLiberty.org) – Well, we all survived another weekend of news that never stops. President Donald Trump had a busy couple of days. Once again, he was forced to fend off an attack from the media. However, he did it after he ensured Americans they wouldn’t be deprived of their history and heritage. Meanwhile, in Minneapolis, the champions of the “defund the police” movement are learning the value of security.

Trump Responds to Reports

Late last week, reports surfaced accusing President Trump of ignoring threats to American troops in Afghanistan by Russians. It was alleged he did nothing upon learning Vladimir Putin had put bounties on the heads of US troops.

On June 28, the president set the record straight and shot the reports down. He hit the New York Times for publishing the allegations and demanded to know who the name of the so-called “anonymous source…”

President Trump went on to reiterate he’s been tough on the former Soviet country.

POTUS Signs Executive Order

For weeks, rioters have defaced monuments and statues around the country. The president said he was going to make sure the vandals are prosecuted for destroying federal property.

On June 26, Trump signed an executive order prohibiting the desecration of monuments. In the order, the president slammed “violent extremists…” for targeting important memorials, like a WWII monument in North Carolina. He also pointed out activists targeting “religious depictions of Jesus.”

The order also provides assistance to jurisdictions protecting federal statues, but withholds grants to those who don’t.

Trouble in Minneapolis

Some of the city council members in Minneapolis, Minnesota, have been very vocal about their support for the “defund the police” movement. That stance led to threats from people who weren’t happy with their decision. Three council members hired security guards and taxpayers are apparently footing the bill.

Phillipe Cunningham (Ward 4), Andrea Jenkins (Ward 8) and Alondra Cano (Ward 9) all have private security details. The guards have cost Minneapolis taxpayers $63,000 over the last 3 weeks.

Councilmember Cunningham said he doesn’t “feel comfortable” talking about the “death threats…” publicly or the security that the people he represents are providing. Maybe the police can help him out — that is, if they still have funding.

Copyright 2020, TargetLiberty.org